Monday, October 14, 2013

Got goals?

We usually set short term goals like "I'm going to take a walk today or I will get home in time to make a  healthy dinner." But how about long term goals? If you have a "decade" birthday coming up, why not set a goal to accomplish something in that year?

One of the most rewarding goals I achieved was deciding to run my first marathon the year I turned 50. Whatever the goal, it is very rewarding to achieve it and then look back on that event as a very special time in your life. Since I have another "decade" birthday coming up I guess I should think about what goal I will set. Maybe it will be to take that long bike ride, touring down the eastcoast, stopping for overnights along the way. Or maybe I will sign up for one of those "adventure" races. Whatever I decide I'm sure it will be an event worth remembering. You might even earn some bragging rights if your goal is something really exciting.

You can post your goal on your social media page and get reinforcement and help along the way. Others might have tips for how to achieve your goal or help you with encouragement. Invite friends to join you in your goal, whatever it might be, a first 5K or half-marathon. You might find that someone else was just waiting for a reason to sign up for that first race.

But you don't have to have a big birthday coming up to set a goal. Maybe you want to set a year end goal like "I will get home from work in time to make a healthy meal." Your body will love you and you might even see your waistline shrinking as a result!

No comments:

Post a Comment