Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Just a little background, I am currently attending a three month fitness internship in Ludlow, Vermont, as part of my degree program in Exercise Science at Castleton State College located in Castleton, Vermont.

 I am interested in all things related to fitness and living a healthy life. I believe it is possible to redefine ourselves and in fact believe that is what keeps us inspired to continue living. People once thought that as we grew older we couldn't learn new things and the brain cells we lost couldn't be replaced. Now research is being conducted that shows it is possible to develop new connections between the neurons and also create new brain cells. This is possible by engaging in activities that are associated with cognitive health.

In my late forties I began to run races competitively and even tried triathlons. After 109 races of all distances, I can say that it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I discovered that having a goal and reaching it was very motivational. If you are someone who likes challenges, then doing a 5K race is attainable and rewarding. If you don't believe that you can run a 5K race right out of the gate, then try walking it. Many races have walker divisions.

I have just turned 59 and most people don't believe me when I tell them my age. If you are one of those people who think they just don't have time to do any physical activity, well I can tell you that it's possible to squeeze in activity all through the day. If you can't find even twenty minutes a day, then start with small increments. Here are a couple of suggestions for squeezing in five minutes a day, throughout the day. Walk back and forth to your mailbox two or three times or before shopping for  groceries, walk around the parking lot a few times, pretending you can't find your car. If you do this a few times a day, you will find that you have more energy and are looking for more ways to increase the  minutes you spend doing something for your heart. And we all want to have healthy hearts for loving, living and enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment