Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Laughter is the best medicine!

Have you ever wondered why you feel so good after sometime tells a joke and you get a really good belly laugh? It's because laughing releases endorphins from the brain. Those chemicals increase overall wellbeing and can even drown out pain. Laughing boosts the immune system, increasing the number of antibody-producing T cells. When our immune system gets a boost, we are less likely to get coughs and cold. Giggling can release stress and make you less tense.

If you are involved in a relationship having a shared sense of humor is a benefit. If you can have good belly laughs together you are less likely to fight over the little things. When I was a kid if my mom wanted to discipline me and my siblings, we always got her to laughing somehow so that she would forget she was mad at us. It worked most of the time and saved us from sore bottoms!

In addition laughter is good for the heart. It benefits the way blood flows around the body. It has been said that 15 minutes a day of laughter is as important for your heart as 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week. Well I won't hang up my running shoes but I will put on a comedy show more frequently and laugh it up.




No comments:

Post a Comment