Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What do you believe about aging?

Are you one of those people who believe that dementia is universal and inevitable? I can tell you that these myths exists, even though research shows that in the healthy aging brain, new synapses continue to form and nerve cells in the brain can regenerate. Of course one can't just sit on the couch, do nothing and expect that you will form new synapses. One needs to get aerobic exercise. Taking a twenty to thirty minute walk a day, 3 to 5 days a week, at moderate intensity, will help in exercising your brain.  "What is good for the body is also good for the brain."

Juggling has been proven to increase gray matter in the brain and may even prevent Alzheimer's Disease. Juggling engages your problem solving skills, while also toning your body, strengthening your core, and burning calories. The longer it takes you to learn to juggle, the more you are exercising your brain. So no worries if you don't get it right away. I sure didn't but I persisted and at 59 I have learned something that I always wanted to do. It's a portable workout that I can take anywhere. Juggle for five minutes and see how your arms feel if you wonder if it has benefits. Pick up some juggling balls and boost your brainpower!

1 comment:

  1. So what program did you use to learn how to Juggle? It might be helpful to me too to fight against Alzheimers, I certainly do not want to end up like Moma.

    ReplyDelete